Before starting our first blog I just want to show you this really awesome yacht made by Rolls Royce. I mean just look at it! It’s got such an interesting and sleek design I wouldn’t be surprised to see James Bond own one of these. Now unfortunately it is only a concept to no guarantees if will it be in production (sorry to all the millionaires out there). Anyway lets move on. 

I’ve been seeing some really interesting concepts on Yanko Design (http://www.yankodesign.com/). This one particularly stood out. Designed by Issam Trabelsi, this is a completely new direction to the evolution of cellphones. This one literally goes around your finger. Yes finger. As you can see by the picture it is really portable (not sure why it says Nokia). Made from soft silicone and rubber the phone is actually waterproof! It has basic functions such as texting and calling (not sure how you would text). Similar to some of the smart watches out there, this phone vibrates when you get notifications.
Now to my disappointment I could barely find anything on this concept so I’m in the dark about this one. Looking at the design there are some immediate flaws I can see. Firstly I can imagine that this design would be relatively uncomfortable and could also easily fall off your finger when swimming or jogging. The biggest flaw I see is the limits of this technology. Sure it’s portable but with all smart phones you have an endless possibility of functions. With this I can only see two. I can imagine this concept would be great for those old fashioned folks that only see phones to be used for talking and texting. As a result I can imagine that if this product were to be put onto the market it would not sell very well.
We have very similar products to this already (eg. smart watches) which can do a lot more than text and call. The future of cellphones is in portability but also in function. This concept is only following the portability road and almost ignoring the function road. This is a great concept design but I think the only way it would sell if it were able to link with a cell phone so that you don’t have to take it out of your pocket when receiving a call. I can’t picture this device to operate by itself. Anyways fantastic design but definitely needs some thought and revisions to it’s function. Thanks for reading! 

Sources:
Rolls Royce Yacht: http://www.yankodesign.com/2014/03/20/phantom-of-the-marina-rolls-royce-inspired-yacht/
Nokia Finger Phone: http://www.yankodesign.com/2014/03/18/on-my-fingertips/
No comments:
Post a Comment