Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Space Generator

Sorry this post is coming slightly late. I’m in Paris and the internet in my hotel is really dodgy but I’ll try and post this on Sunday morning. This next concept you are about to read about might the single coolest invention I’ve seen this year. Please welcome the Space Generator.

Designed by Maria and Grigory Malitskaya, Space Generator is a field of height adjustable modules that can transform to create multiple structures. It is quite hard to explain so here are a couple of pictures. Each cell is called a jack plate (the blocks) and can have different designs such as squares, circular, elliptical, trapezoidal and so forth. The cells are driven by hydraulic or electrical means and can be made of different materials. The cells can even have LED screens to display messages.

These cells are then raised and lowered out of the floor to make different floor arrangements. The cells could create areas such as presentation, exhibition, leisure or art spaces. Some of the examples we can see are of a maze, a motorbike and vehicle driving course, and fashion runways however I can imagine that the uses of this are limitless. According to the Red Dot article, Space Generator is self cleaning and can also be installed on walls or on ceilings either outside or inside. Unfortunately this was all I could find whilst researching this concept but I will edit this post if I find anything new.
What I love about this concept are the endless possibilities there are. Personally I would love to see a transformable sports field. For example you could have grass on a cube and then change that material to hard wood allowing for a basketball court without needing to build or find another sports venue to play in. It would be very convenient and save a lot of money. I also believe that Space Generator could be used to also create art exhibits or even build buildings that have never even been thought about being built before allowing the user to express his/her ideas in 3-D. Imagine being able to make a staircase out of the ground just by pressing a button! I can’t wait to see if Space Generator will actually be created and see how it will perform in real time.

No comments:

Post a Comment